In recent new this week and last week, many have heard beware there is a malicious virus attacking computers. How many users know what ransomware is and how will this affect you?
Ransomware is defined as a virus that stops you from using your PC. It holds your PC or files for “ransom”. That is as easy as I can define it for non-technical users. When your computer is taken over the attack locks you out and makes your data unrecognizable (encrypt). The only option you have is to pay the attacker to release your machine in the form of Bitcoins (Digital Money). HOWEVER… There is no guarantee that paying will allow your computer to be released or will give you access to your files again.
Protect against Ransomware
Now that you know what Ransomware is let’s get your company or personal computer protected. Below is a list of things you can do to protect your files. Protecting your files is the goal even if the attacker is successful.
- Visiting unsafe, suspicious, or fake websites.
- Opening emails and email attachments from people you don’t know, or that you weren’t expecting.
- Clicking on malicious or bad links in emails, Facebook, Twitter, and other social media posts, instant messenger chats, like Skype. It can be very difficult to restore your PC after a ransomware attack – especially if it’s infected by encryption ransomware.
- That’s why the best solution to ransomware is to be safe on the Internet and with emails and online chat:
- Don’t click on a link on a webpage, in an email, or in a chat message unless you absolutely trust the page or sender.
- If you’re ever unsure – don’t click it!
- Often fake emails and webpages have bad spelling, or just look unusual. Look out for strange spellings of company names (like “PayePal” instead of “PayPal”) or unusual spaces, symbols, or punctuation (like “iTunesCustomer Service” instead of “iTunes Customer Service”).
Tools for Protection
Backing up your files to help protect yourself from ransomware is essential. If you are unsure on how protected your computer(s) give our team a quick message. Our services are exceptional and we provide excellent tools that allow us to backup your systems and files, apply system updates, anti-virus protection, vulnerability scanning, email anti-virus protection, and remote troubleshooting anywhere in the continental US.
Our Office 365 software includes OneDrive for Business and it can assist in backing up everyday files. Whether you are a business or a home user we can help you protect your computer systems.
AIIS is available to assist businesses with upgrades, system maintenance and secure solutions. We will work with your current IT department as an extension providing services to advance you current team. Our goal has always been to provide excellent technical services that benefit the organization.